Brandon wrestler faces off with top athletes at all-star meet

By Mike Hamson
Special Correspondent
TBO.com
Published: March 23, 2016

BRANDON — Brandon High School wrestling coach Russ Cozart said he is proud of several senior wrestlers who signed letters of intent with colleges while receiving athletic scholarships.

Cozart helped the Eagles take their 23rd straight Ippolito crown this year but isn’t resting. He just returned from Minnesota with his standout wrestler Kyle Norstrem.

On March 26, Norstrem, 18, will participate in a dual meet format at the 42nd annual Pittsburgh Wrestling classic at the University of Pittsburgh.

“There are two premier all-star meets in the United States,” Cozart said. “They invite the best from the U.S. in their weight class. One is called the Dream Team Classic and the other is called the Pittsburgh Classic. Kyle got invited to both of them.”

Norstrem is the son of Timothy and Nancy Norstrem. His brother Kevin was a five-time Florida state champion who wrestled with the Brandon High Eagles under coach Cozart.

Ranked third in the nation, younger brother Kyle Norstrem won his fourth Tony Ippolito Memorial gold medal this year. He will attend Virginia Tech to continue his career.

“The Dream Team Classic was last weekend in Minnesota, and I went with him,” Cozart said. “He lost a real close match 6-5. They paired him with the 132-pound Minnesota State champion. His weight class is 126.”

Norstrem said he considers coach Cozart to be a legend. Norstrem embraces his successes and failures on the mat.

“I started wrestling when I was 4 years old,” Norstrem said. “The thing I enjoy most about wrestling has to be the values it teaches me. Wresting itself is very difficult. It’s very complicated, and you never get your way. What comes along with it really is what I enjoy — learning that no matter how difficult a task can be, there is always a way to overcome it through practice.”

Norstrem said he is excited to wrestle in a 125-weight class at Virginia Tech. His tuition and books are paid for through his athletic scholarship.

“I picked Virginia Tech because I really love the campus. I love the coaches and I love the team,” he said. “The team is such a family. I felt welcomed whenever I walked in. They welcomed me with open arms.”

He said the coaches recognized his tireless work ethic and character.

“They treated me like I was a great kid,” he said. “Their program speaks for itself. I could not be happier with my pick.”

Cozart said other seniors who received scholarships included Frank Bruno, who signed with Ohio University, and Lawrence Scrivens, who is in negotiations with Southeastern College in Lakeland.

“Wrestling is a great sport,” Cozart said. “The more little kids we can expose, the better. I spend my time showing kids what the sport is about. It’s great for kids to take on this kind of challenge. It brings them to another level and gets them ready for life.”

For more information on the Eagles wrestling program, visit brandoneagleswrestling.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Former ‘Mr. Basketball’ Dupay discovers glory days later in life

Father-son duo coach local wrestling team

Fast-pitch softball league preps girls for college